COVID-19 Update: SDP&A cares about our clients, community and the public during this unprecedented time of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read More


We are offering complimentary consultations with our experienced attorneys via phone, Skype, FaceTime and Zoom to anyone – individuals, businesses and organizations – with a situation and/or questions related to immigration and nationality law. We can advise or offer second opinions on family-based and employment based immigration options, employer compliance, maintenance of non-immigrant status and employment authorization, political asylum, removal defense, remedies through federal court litigation or other U.S. immigration matters. Please contact us 24/7 at (312) 444-1940 or

Visas for Victims of Criminal Activity

Visas for Victims of Criminal Activity

U Visas, or Green Cards, are visas set aside for nonimmigrant victims of certain crimes who have suffered or are suffering from mental or physical abuse. Victims of crime can qualify for a specific Green Card but must have U nonimmigrant status.

What does the U Visa Provide Victims?

If approved, the U visa provides victims with several benefits including:

  • Temporary immigration status for qualifying family members
  • Temporary immigration status with work authorization
  • Possibility of lawful permanent residence status

Spouses and Children of U Nonimmigrant Status

Family members of nonimmigrants who qualify for U visas may be eligible for visas – U-2 visas for spouses, U-3 for children, and U-4 for parents.

How to Apply for a U Visa (Green Card)

The first step to gaining a Green Card is to fill out the Form I-485 application.

To qualify for a Green Card on U nonimmigrant status, certain requirements must be met:

  • You have filed Form I-485, the application required to register for permanent residence
  • You have been legally admitted into the United States U-1 nonimmigrant status
  • You have been present continually in the United States for at least three years since you were admitted as a U nonimmigrant.
  • You are not admissible under INA section 212(a)(3)(E)
  • Your United States presence is deemed good for public interest, family unity, and humanitarian standard


Those who have participated in events such as genocide, Nazi persecution, or any act of killing or torture will not be accepted as an admissible candidate. If you commit an act that would be considered inadmissible, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will immediately consider this.

Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney Today

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we provide individuals, families, and employers the legal representation they need to navigate the process of obtaining nonimmigrant visas.

Our attorneys have over seven decades of combined experience in US immigration law. We’ve helped guide numerous clients through the complicated process of gaining U nonimmigrant visas and Green Cards in the U.S. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

Scott Pollock Office Map

We're looking forward to hearing from you!