COVID-19 Update: SDP&A cares about our clients, community and the public during this unprecedented time of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read More


We are offering complimentary consultations with our experienced attorneys via phone, Skype, FaceTime and Zoom to anyone – individuals, businesses and organizations – with a situation and/or questions related to immigration and nationality law. We can advise or offer second opinions on family-based and employment based immigration options, employer compliance, maintenance of non-immigrant status and employment authorization, political asylum, removal defense, remedies through federal court litigation or other U.S. immigration matters. Please contact us 24/7 at (312) 444-1940 or

Special Immigrant Juveniles

Special Immigrant Juveniles

Special Immigrant Juveniles, also known as SIJs, are classified as children who have been subject to state juvenile court related to abuse, abandonment, neglect, or similar. The Special Immigration Juvenile Green Card allows them to seek lawful permanent residence in the United States as determined by the USCIS.


An applicant must meet the following set requirements to qualify for a Special Immigrant Juvenile Green Card:

  • Be under the age of 21 at the time you file the SIJ petition
  • Be currently living in the United States at the time you file the SIJ petition and at the time USCIS makes their decision
  • Be unmarried at the time you file the petition and when USCIS makes their decision

In the United States, a juvenile state court must find that you:

  • Are dependent on the court or in custody of a state agency
  • Cannot be united with one or both parents due to neglect, abuse, abandonment, or similar

How to Petition for SIJ Classification

To file a petition for SIJ Classification, you must complete and submit Form I-360. In addition to the form, you will need to provide supporting documentation on the following:

  • Evidence of your age by birth certificate, passport, or other official identity document issued by a foreign government
  • Juvenile court order
  • Written consent from the US Department of Health and Human Services
  • Form G-28

Special Immigrant Juvenile Green Card

If your petition has been approved and you are granted SIJ classification, you may be eligible for a Green Card by filing Form I-485. This process is also known as applying for lawful permanent residence. After you have applied for a Green Card, the USCIS will send you an informed notice of action which is your official receipt for filing. If any additional evidence is needed, you will be contacted by the USCIS. Decisions by the USCIS generally take about 6 months from the date you filed.

Contact an Immigration Attorney Today

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we provide individuals and families with the legal representation they need. If you or a loved one are filing or petitioning for Special Immigrant Juvenile status, we’re here to help. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

Scott Pollock Office Map

We're looking forward to hearing from you!