Chicago Green Card Lawyers

Chicago Immigration Visas and Green Cards

Quick Links

Visas permit individuals to enter the United States. There are two categories of visas: immigrant and nonimmigrant. Immigrant visas enable applicants to become permanent residents. 

Lawful permanent residents receive a “green card, ” a plastic photo identification card confirming their status, authorizing them to work and live in the U.S. indefinitely unless the government revokes this privilege.

In contrast, nonimmigrant visas permit individuals to enter the U.S. for a certain amount of time for a specific purpose such as tourism, temporary employment, or academic study. 

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we are committed to helping immigrants obtain the correct visa for their needs. We understand that it is a complicated and often confusing process, which is why our experienced immigration attorneys can help you and your family find the right visa for your situation.

In this article, you’ll learn why you should consult with an immigration attorney for your green card, questions you should ask before hiring a lawyer, and some of the legal services we provide.

Green Card FAQs

Do I Need A Green Card Lawyer?

Once granted a green card, you can function freely within your visa’s rules. However, the path to obtaining a green card is a strenuous one. While you are technically allowed to apply for a green card without the help of an attorney, navigating immigration law is complicated.

Each type of visa has a variety of paperwork with different costs and places to send each document. A small error in the paperwork, unintentional misinformation, or missing evidence can lead to significant delays or devastating denials.

You don’t have to go on this journey alone, and most people who choose to work with a green card lawyer are happy they did.

Working with an immigration lawyer can be beneficial in many ways:

  1. Obtaining a green card involves a time-consuming, complex process governed by intricate immigration laws. An experienced immigration lawyer will guide you through the process, provide expert advice, and ensure all your forms are filed correctly and on time.
  2. If USCIS denies your application or sends you a Request for Evidence (RFE), a lawyer can help you understand the reason and determine how best to proceed. They can also provide legal representation if necessary, such as if you have a deportation hearing.
  3. If you have a complicated case or past immigration violations, working with a lawyer is particularly advantageous. They can help you navigate the complexities of the law and ensure that your case is presented in the best possible light to USCIS.

If you are wondering whether you need an immigration lawyer to obtain your green card, consider the time and attention it would take you to complete on your own and the peace of mind that an attorney could provide. A green card attorney can help alleviate some of the stress of applying for a green card and speed up the process as they will ensure your application is completed with accuracy.

Why Is Applying for a Visa Challenging Without a Green Card Immigration Lawyer?

Applying for a visa is challenging, and many applicants find themselves overwhelmed by the complexity of the process. Without an experienced lawyer on your side, it is easy to make mistakes that can cause significant delays or even result in a denial.

What if you have questions about your forms or evidence? If you don’t have a lawyer, you’re left moving forward with uncertainty about your application.

An expert attorney can also help you negotiate contact with the immigration bureau when you have questions about your specific case. Without an attorney, contacting the government to address those challenges will take hours of your time, often without a productive outcome.

Applying for a visa is challenging because the law is not always on your side when seeking entry into the U.S. The purpose of immigration law is to benefit the United States and ensure security. Although you may be an asset to the United States or need aid, the U.S. government may see you as an economic or security risk. An attorney for green card processing can help present your case so the U.S. government sees your relationship with the United States as mutually beneficial.

Do I Need A Lawyer for a Green Card Through Marriage?

If you plan to come to the United States through marriage, you can do so through family sponsorships or a K-1 fiancé(e) visa. If you’re already married and your partner is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, they can petition for you.

Although U.S. immigration law doesn’t require a lawyer to represent you for a green card, it’s still advisable to seek the help of a green card lawyer.

The process for a green card through family sponsorship may appear straightforward initially, but having an experienced green card lawyer review all your forms can still be beneficial. Every immigration petition is unique and has its own set of complexities. A second pair of eyes from an immigration lawyer with experience in marriage, family sponsorship, and fiancé(e) visas can help you avoid any potential challenges that may arise.

Can I Hire a Green Card Attorney If I've Already Started the Process?

Yes, you can hire a green card lawyer even if you’ve already started the process.

An experienced attorney can review all your forms and documents for accuracy and completeness. They can also advise you on the additional evidence you may need to provide to USCIS to strengthen your case.

A green card lawyer can also help you if your application has been denied. They can review the denial to assess your legal options, such as filing an appeal or motion to reopen/reconsider.

Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Green Card Attorney

When you are looking for an immigration lawyer, it helps to find one with experience related to your specific case.

Here are a few questions you should ask before hiring a green card attorney:

  • Have you handled cases similar to mine before? If so, what were the outcomes?
  • How long have you been practicing immigration law and how many green card applications have you successfully processed?
  • Can you provide any references from previous clients who have used your services for green card applications?
  • What are your fees and payment structure for green card cases? Are there any additional costs I should be aware of?
  • How will you communicate with me during the process, and how frequently should I expect updates?
  • What documentation and information will I need to provide for my application, and how will you help me gather and organize it?

An Expert Attorney From Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. Can Help

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we have years of experience successfully processing green cards for clients across the United States. We take the time to understand your unique case and develop a comprehensive strategy to ensure that you are successful with your application.

Immigration Case Service Examples

Green Card Lawyers Near Me

If you are looking for a green card lawyer in the Chicago area, the attorney office of Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. is located at 105 West Madison, Suite 2200 Chicago, IL 60602.

If you are looking for immigration lawyers for U.S. green cards that you can meet face to face, we are happy to meet in person to discuss your case. If you live outside of Chicago and still have questions about your green card, we are available for phone and video calls. We are here for you no matter where you live.

Contact an Attorney Today

Scott D. Pollock is the grandson of immigrants, and he’s keenly aware that people are coming to the U.S. for the same reason they did: to make a better life for themselves and their families.

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we provide individuals and employers with the high-quality and affordable representation they need to navigate the tangled web of obstacles and pitfalls of the United States immigration system.

Our attorneys have over seven decades of combined experience in U.S. immigration law. We’ve helped guide numerous clients through the complicated process of gaining immigrant visas in the U.S. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

For questions and/or to arrange a consultation with one of our attorneys contact us now

We're looking forward to hearing from you!