COVID-19 Update: SDP&A cares about our clients, community and the public during this unprecedented time of the COVID-19 pandemic. Read More


We are offering complimentary consultations with our experienced attorneys via phone, Skype, FaceTime and Zoom to anyone – individuals, businesses and organizations – with a situation and/or questions related to immigration and nationality law. We can advise or offer second opinions on family-based and employment based immigration options, employer compliance, maintenance of non-immigrant status and employment authorization, political asylum, removal defense, remedies through federal court litigation or other U.S. immigration matters. Please contact us 24/7 at (312) 444-1940 or

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Adjustment of Status to Permanent Resident

Adjustment of Status is the process in which you can apply to become a lawful permanent resident of the United States through your family, a job offer, asylum status, or other special provisions. This process is also commonly known as applying for a Green Card. In order to be eligible to apply for Permanent Resident Status, you must have entered the United States lawfully prior to applying. The Adjustment of Status process involves several steps.

Process of Adjusting Status and Required Forms

In order to file for Adjustment of Status or Apply for Permanent Resident status, you will need to file the corresponding form(s). Your form(s) will be filed in a specific category, depending on your eligibility.

Filing fees for forms vary depending on the type of form and can be paid when the form is submitted.  Those applying for Permanent Resident Status should complete and file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Resident or Adjust Status.

Fees are based on the following:

  • Applicants under the age of 14 and filing form I-485 with a parent: $750 fee
  • Applicants under the age of 14 and not filing form I-485 with a parent: $1,140 fee
  • Applicants aged 14–78: $1,140 plus an additional fee of $85–$1,225 total fee
  • Applicants aged 79 or older: $1,140 fee
  • Applicants filing form I-485 after having been admitted to the US as a refugee: No fee

Keep in mind that in order to qualify for permanent lawful residence status and file form I-485, you must have previously made lawful entry into the United States with a tourist visa or as an admitted refugee.

Required Evidence for Applying

Additional information and supporting evidence will be required when completing and filing Form I-485. For immediate relatives and family-based applicants, the following will be required along with your Form I-485:

  • Passport style photographs
  • Copy of government-issued identification including photograph
  • Copy of birth certificate (if non-existent, medical records or proof of non-existence)
  • Supplementing additional forms, if applicable

For Special Immigrant Juveniles, the following will be required:

  • Two passport style photographs
  • Copy of government-issued photo identification
  • Birth certificate
  • Documentation of immigrant category
  • Disposition of criminal charges or convictions, if applicable
  • Form I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility

Visit the USCIS website for information on additional supporting forms that may be required.

Contact an Experienced Attorney Today

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we provide individuals and families with the legal representation they need when applying for Permanent Resident Status. With over seven decades of combined experience, we’re here to help.


Scott Pollock Office Map

We're looking forward to hearing from you!