E-3 Visa

E-3 Visa

Specialty Occupation Workers from Australia

The E-3 visa is available to qualifying nationals of Australia wanting to enter the United States for a classified specialty occupation. Specialty occupations are those which require specialized knowledge and the attainment of a bachelor’s degree or higher in the specialty area.


Before applying for an E-3 visa, you should first determine if you are eligible to apply. You must demonstrate the following in order to qualify for an E-3 visa:

  • You are a national of Australia
  • You have an offer of legitimate employment in the United States
  • You have obtained necessary academic or additional qualifying credentials
  • You are filling a position that qualifies as a specialty occupation

Application Process

To apply for an E-3 visa, a job offer from a legitimate employer in the United States is required. However, you may travel to the United States to find a job before applying for the E-3 visa. When applying for the E-3 visa, Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker should accompany your application. Form I-129 must include and ensure the following:

  • Academic credentials supporting your qualification for the position
  • Job offer and any additional documentation from the employer in regard to the specialty occupation
  • Proof of obtaining license to perform specialty occupation in the U.S.

You can apply for an E-3 visa at any U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in another country.

Period of Stay

The initial period of stay for an E-3 visa is 2 years. Extensions may be applied for with some exceptions.

Family Members of E-3 Visa Holders

Spouses and unmarried children (under the age of 21) may quality for an E-3 dependent classification. Upon filing for work authorization, your spouse must file Form I-765.

Contact an Immigration Attorney Today

At Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C., we provide individuals, families, and employers the legal representation they need to navigate the process of obtaining nonimmigrant visas such as E-3 Australian Specialty Occupation Worker visas. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!