Cultural Exchange Visitor Visas

Cultural Exchange Visitor Visas

Exchange Visitor visas (J) and Cultural Exchange visas (Q) are available to those wanting to enter the United States for exchange programs. Categories of Exchange Visitor visas may include the following:

  • Camp counselor
  • Government visitors
  • Interns
  • Physicians
  • Scholars
  • College or university students
  • Secondary students
  • Teachers or trainees

J Visa

J visas are nonimmigrant visas for people who wish to participate in exchange visitor programs in the U.S. Programs for nonimmigrants under the J visa are classified and designed to promote educational and cultural exchange between the U.S. and foreign countries.

Q Visa

Q visas or cultural exchange visas allow participants to enter the United States international cultural exchange program, designated by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

 How to Apply

Steps to applying for J or Q visas will depend on U.S. Embassy or Consulate. To begin the process, you must complete the online application by submitting Form DS-160. In addition to the online form submission, an appropriately formatted photo must also be submitted. The following steps are required for the application process:

  • Interview for those between the ages of 14-17 years old
  • Application fee of $160

Eligibility and Period of Stay

J and Q visa holders are permitted an initial stay of up to 15 months. Extensions of stay may be permitted, but once a visa term has ended, you are typically required to wait one full year before applying for another exchange visitor visa.

Family Members of Q & J Visa Holders

Spouses or children of Q or J Visa holders must qualify independently for a nonimmigrant classified visa.

Contact an Immigration Attorney Today

If you or a loved one have been impacted by an exchange visitor visa or have questions in regard to the exchange visitor visas, contact the Immigration Lawyers at Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. today. With decades of experience, we are here to guide you through the legal process of obtaining nonimmigrant visas. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!