COVID-19 Update: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for All Green Card Applicants Read More

All Green Card applicants, who receive their medical examination from either a Panel Physician or a Civil Surgeon on or after October 1, 2021, will need to show evidence of vaccination for COVID-19, or provide a valid reason why they should not be held to the new requirement. See Full Details

Passport Applications

Passport Applications

Passports are used to verify one’s country of citizenship. If you are traveling outside your country, you will need your passport to re-enter your native country. In the United States, you must submit an application, including evidence and supporting documents, to receive a valid passport.

Applying for a US Passport

There are several types of passport forms available to apply for a U.S. passport. Each form is specific to the type of information you provide when applying. The forms available are the following:

  • Form DS-11: passport application for first-time applicants, children under the age of 16, and those who do not meet the renewal requirements
  • Form DS-82: renewal application for those who meet the requirements to renew their passport
  • Form DS-5504: application for those who need to change or correct information on their passport

Forms for Special Situations:

  • Form DS-64: Application to replace lost or stolen passport
  • Form DS-3053: Application to issue passport to a child
  • Form DS-5525: Special family circumstances
  • Form DS-86: Did not receive your passport

What Will I Need to Apply?

In order to successfully apply for a passport, you will need specific documentation including:

  • Passport fee
  • Photo: photos must be color, on a white background and measure 2×2”
  • Social security number, if issued one (If you have not been issued a social security number, a statement must be submitted on your behalf)
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship: proof of U.S. citizenship can be provided by showing a valid expired U.S. passport, birth certificate, certificate of naturalization, or certificate of citizenship
  • Current valid driver’s license or identification card (certificate of naturalization or citizenship, government ID, military ID are also acceptable)

For a more detailed list of passport requirements, visit the U.S. Department of State website.


For those applying with Form DS-11, the following fees apply for passport products:

Adults (16 & older)

  • Passport Book: $110 application fee, $35 acceptance fee
  • Passport Card: $30 application fee, $35 acceptance fee
  • Passport Card and Book: $140 application fee, $35 acceptance fee

Children (15 & younger)

  • Passport Book: $80 application fee, $45 acceptance fee
  • Passport Card: $15 application fee, $35 acceptance fee
  • Passport Card and Book: $95 application fee, $35 acceptance fee


Routine processing time for passports is between 10 and 12 weeks. However, if you need your passport in a hurry, you can apply to expedite the process. For an additional fee, you can expedite the process and receive your passport within 4 to 6 weeks.

Contact an Attorney Today

Our attorneys have over seven decades of combined experience in U.S. immigration law. We’ve helped guide numerous clients through the process of obtaining passports in the U.S. Contact the legal team at Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. today. Contact a member of our team today at 312.444.1940.

For questions and/or to arrange a consultation with one of our attorneys contact us now

We're looking forward to hearing from you!