COVID-19 Update: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement for All Green Card Applicants Read More

All Green Card applicants, who receive their medical examination from either a Panel Physician or a Civil Surgeon on or after October 1, 2021, will need to show evidence of vaccination for COVID-19, or provide a valid reason why they should not be held to the new requirement. See Full Details

Corrections and Name Change During Naturalization Process: What To Do After Your Citizenship Oath

Corrections and Name Change During Naturalization Process: What To Do After Your Citizenship Oath

When you become a U.S. citizen, there is a change that the United States Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) misspelled your name on documents and certifications. When you apply to become a U.S. citizen, you are allowed to request a name change during the naturalization process. There are a few ways to go about a name change during naturalization. One way is by changing your name at the naturalization ceremony by filing Form N-565. The attorneys at Scott D. Pollock & Associates P.C. can be by your side through your entire naturalization process and support you in your naturalization certificate name change.

Can I Change My Name During Oath Ceremony?

Yes, you can do a naturalization certificate name change. If you pass your citizenship interview and are approved for your naturalization certification, you will be able to change your name. You will be given a citizenship certificate name change on your official Certificate of Naturalization. This can officially happen at your swearing-in ceremony.

N-400 Name Change

There is an option to request your name change at your naturalization interview. While at the interview, you will provide your filled out Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. The N-400 name change is done directly on your naturalization application rather than after your swearing-in ceremony. During your swearing-in ceremony, you will be given a certificate proving your name has been legally changed. However, if the USCIS denies this request during your interview, then you will need to request your name change after you receive your naturalization documents.

Name Change During Naturalization Process

If the USCIS denies your request to change your name during your interview process, then you can change your name in your naturalization process after you have undergone the naturalization ceremony.

During your naturalization process, your name change will take place on a state-law basis. Depending on where you live, your will follow your state’s legal name change procedures. The court with either accept or deny your request.

Application for Replacement Naturalization Document

Once the court has accepted either your letter and/or your request for a name change, then you may need to apply for your new naturalization certificate with your correct name. To request a naturalization certificate name change, you will apply for a replacement naturalization/citizenship document using Form N-565.

Form N-565 is what you will file after you have received your original documentation for naturalization. It is what you will file if USCIS denies changing your name at your swearing-in ceremony.

Form N-565 is technically an application for a replacement naturalization/citizenship document, as stated previously. This means that you will change your name after becoming a United States citizen rather than during your citizenship process. This avenue of applying for a name change after the citizenship oath will grant a new certificate of naturalization for a name change.

You can request to change your name on a citizenship certificate using Form N-600. This is a completely different process that is around correcting an error during your application for your certificate of citizenship rather than after you have received your documentation. Again, if this is not an option, your immigration lawyer will be able to assist you with Form N-565. A naturalization certificate name change can be done in several ways. Speak with your immigration and naturalization lawyer about the best approach to correcting or changing your name during your naturalization process.

Citizenship Card Name Change: Information About Form N-565

Filing Fee

The filing fee for a name change after citizenship oath is $555 for Form N-565. You will need to pay the filing fee and the biometrics service fee. The filing fee sent to USCIS is non-refundable, even if your request is denied.

You can pay the filing fee either online, with a money order, with a check, or through your credit card. Your naturalization attorney can help with additional paperwork that comes with mailing your form and corresponding fees.

Supporting Evidence

In order to be granted your name change after citizenship oath, you need to send in evidence with your Form N-565. The evidence you send in will support your name change by showing that your name has been misspelled on your initial visa documents. The goal is to provide naturalization name change proof to verify your original birth name. Evidence that you can provide includes:

  • Birth certificates
  • Marriage certificates and/or status
  • Evidence of USCIS errors
  • Two passport-style photographs
  • Copies of your original naturalization certificate

Your immigration lawyer can help gather and send the evidence required for you to change your name on naturalization forms.

Filing Process

You can either file your Form N-565 online or by filling out paperwork and sending your form in by mail. If you are able to file your form online, you will be able to pay your fee, check your case status, and be updated on your case all in your online account. If you file by mail, The USCIS will then mail you updates about your case.

Contact a Naturalization Attorney Today

If you have questions about requesting a name change during the naturalization process, we are happy to work with you. The attorneys at Scott D. Pollock & Associates P.C. have several decades of combined experience. We understand that having your name misspelled on legal documents can be frustrating. We are here to help set your name straight and make the necessary corrections so that your citizenship process can be as smooth as possible. We are here to provide knowledge, support, and help for you during this time. Contact us at 312.444.1940 or fill out an online form today. We look forward to working with you.

For questions and/or to arrange a consultation with one of our attorneys contact us now

We're looking forward to hearing from you!