Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C. | Chicago Immigration Law | Domestic Servants (B-1 visas)
Call us at (312) 444-1940
This links to the home page
Domestic Servants (B-1 visas)
The domestic servants of people coming to the United States on certain non-immigrant visas (B, E, F, H, I, J, L, O, P, Q and R visas) may, in some cases, qualify for a B-1 visa to accompany their employer.

B-1 Visas for Domestic Workers | Scott Pollock, Chicago Immigration Attorney

Eligibility Requirements for B-1 Visas 

To qualify for a B-1 visa, the domestic servant must have worked for his or her employer abroad for one year or have had an ongoing employment relationship with the employer over a period of years before applying for the visa. He or she must also have one year of experience as a domestic servant. The employer must pay the domestic servant the prevailing wage for domestic workers and must establish that he or she will be providing the domestic servant with free room and board.  Domestic servants entering on B-1 visas must apply for and receive employment authorization from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services after they arrive in the United States before they may begin employment.

Duration of Stay  for Dometic Workers Holding B-1 Visas

B-1 domestic servants will be admitted for a period of no more than one year. They may seek extensions of stay for up to six months at a time. Domestic servants’ employment authorization is valid only for as long as they are authorized to stay in the United States.


Contact Our Immigration Law Office 

For questions and/or to arrange a consultation with one of our attorneys, please call (312) 444-1940 or send us an e-mail at You may also visit our Contact Us page for more detailed contact information.